Editor’s note: “In Other News” is a list of state, national and global headlines compiled by the Daily Citizen-News staff. For links to these stories, visit dailycitizen.news. To suggest a story, email the appropriate link to inothernews@daltoncitizen.com. The deadline is 3 p.m.

Deported three times in three months, he came back with $400,000 in meth

A thrice-deported Mexican and his partner in moving meth each face 10 years to life in federal prison after they transported $400,000 worth of crystal meth for sale to an undercover agent. Actually, Saul Bustos Bustos and Irepan Salgado rolled into Miami, Fla., from Atlanta with seven kilograms of meth, worth $560,000 on the street. But only five kilos were set to be sold to the undercover agent. — Miami Herald 

School drops national anthem from rallies

A seldom sung third verse of the National Anthem has led to the patriotic song being removed from rallies at California High School in San Ramon, Calif. In a letter to the student body published in the school newspaper, Associated Student Body President Ariyana Kermanizadeh wrote the decision to drop “The Star-Spangled Banner” was made after students became aware of the third verse, which mentions slaves. The decision means then anthem won't be sung at any rallies. — CBS SF Bay Area 

Record number of small business owners say it's a good time to expand

Optimism among small companies in the U.S. rose more than forecasted in January, fueled by a record number of owners who said now was a good time to expand, according to a National Federation of Independent Business survey. Six of the 10 components that make up the small-business optimism index increased in January, producing one of the strongest readings in the 45-year history of the survey. The figures show sustained, sturdy business sentiment since the November 2016 election. — Bloomberg 

Judge awards graffiti artists $6.7 million after their New York works were destroyed

A federal judge awarded $6.7 million to graffiti artists who sued after dozens of spray-paintings were destroyed on the walls of dilapidated New York warehouse buildings torn down to make room for high-rise luxury residences. — Los Angeles Times 

Duke professor suggests libertarians are autistic

Nancy MacLean, the Duke University historian who wrote "Democracy in Chains," the deeply conspiratorial and much-criticized biography of public choice economist James Buchanan, told an audience in New York that Buchanan and other leaders of the limited-government movement "seem to be on the autism spectrum." "It's striking to me how many of the architects of this cause seem to be on the autism spectrum. People who don't feel solidarity or empathy with others, and who have kind of difficult human relationships sometimes," she said. — Reason

React to this story:

0
0
0
0
0

This Week's Circulars