Murray County at Armuchee
For athletes who transfer into a new school, it can be difficult to assimilate right away. Throw on top of that starting at quarterback for the first time and it can make for ups and downs.
Jay Poag is in year three as the head football coach at Christian Heritage School. After being forced to play a multitude of underclassmen over the past two seasons, Poag sees several reasons why this year could be the breakout year the Lions have been looking for since its last winning seas…
CHATSWORTH — Making a major impact as a freshman is tough for most high school football players. But North Murray running back D'Ante Tidwell broke in 2017 for the Mountaineers as a freshman, rushing for 746 yards on 96 carries with 12 touchdowns. He provided a change of pace for a North Mur…
CHATSWORTH — After two successful seasons in which the North Murray High School football team has reached numerous milestone achievements, third-year coach Preston Poag is imploring his team to not get complacent. The first postseason appearance and victory were worth of recognition, but he …
VARNELL — There are times in life when it isn’t the person who yells the loudest who ends up being the most influential. Actions matter, and how an individual carries themselves daily can often speak louder than any words they could muster.
COHUTTA — As I settle into the comfortable chair here on the front porch of my palatial estate in the suburbs of Cohutta, I think back and contemplate how it seems like it was only yesterday when the high school football season ended.
Alabama head coach Nick Saban is used to visiting high-profile recruits at their respective high schools, but he was in for a surprise when he visited Demetris Robertson at Savannah Christian Preparatory School in December 2015.
Leading up to the start of the college football season, The Red & Black will preview each of the 13 teams Georgia plays alongside in the Southeastern Conference. Today, The Red & Black takes a look at the Arkansas Razorbacks.
Leading up to the start of the college football season, The Red & Black will preview each of the 13 teams Georgia plays alongside in the Southeastern Conference. Today, The Red & Black takes a look at the Vanderbilt Commodores.
CHATSWORTH — The Murray County High School girls softball team was able to keep it close with Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe through six innings, but a seven-run seventh inning blew the game wide open and LFO won convincingly 14-2 Monday night.
• Dalton 13, South Cobb 0: The Lady Catamounts bounced back from the extra-inning defeat on Thursday night to win the first game of Saturday's doubleheader convincingly in four innings on the road in Austell. Dalton scored four runs in each of the first two innings and added on five more in …
Georgia football finished its eight practice on Saturday, and after the team's first full week of camp , here are some takeaways and observations from the Red & Black.
Georgia transfer wide receiver Demetris Robertson is eligible to play for the Bulldogs in 2018 after receiving a waiver from the NCAA, Georgia announced Friday.
Georgia senior offensive lineman Kendall Baker had to correct himself when he called the younger offensive lineman "little" on Thursday.
• North Murray 21, Shaw 0: North Murray scored 21 runs in the bottom of the first inning and the game was called after three, as the Lady Mountaineers won the first game of two Friday night at the Callaway High School Tournament in LaGrange. With the win, North Murray moved to 3-0 on the season.
• North Murray 4, Adairsville 0: McKinley Fields' two-run home run followed by Alivia Rymer's RBI double put North Murray ahead 3-0 in the first inning and Talli Burgess was dominant for the second game in a row as Murray County moved to 2-0 (2-0, Region 6-3A) on the season. Playing in a lig…
When he was asked about what allowed Georgia junior defensive lineman Tyler Clark to play so well down the stretch last season, junior defensive lineman Julian Rochester snapped his fingers twice.
• North Murray 2, Calhoun 0: North Murray High School started the season off on a high note defeating defending state champion Calhoun 2-0 at home on Tuesday evening. Junior pitcher Talli Burgess recorded the win pitching seven innings of three-hit ball while striking out eight.
The defensive line and outside linebacker positions at the University of Georgia don’t return a lot of depth, so coaches have found interesting ways to make up for it.
In both teams' season-opening game, it was visiting Coahulla Creek High School that came away with a convincing 11-1 victory in five innings against Southeast Whitfield on Monday night.
Georgia offensive coordinator Jim Chaney walked into the press conference room at Butts-Mehre Heritage Hall for his annual meeting with the media with his usual charisma and wit.
The Georgia football team held an open practice at Fan Day for its second practice of the season at Sanford Stadium on Saturday. Here are some observations made by The Red & Black.
Georgia's football facility upgrade has not peaked, but another milestone development is enjoying brand-spanking-new status as the Bulldogs are on a move-to-the-head-of-the-class mission to complement elevated recruiting successes which should bode well for the Red and Black's future.
The Red & Black will take a deeper look into some of the plays that shaped the 2017-18 Georgia football season by discussing one play during the summer. These plays were impactful in the moment, but their importance can be seen in its entirety now that the season has long been over and a…
In 1982, Herschel Walker played his last game in his historic career at the University of Georgia. Over three years, he won a Heisman trophy and led Georgia to a national title as well as two national championship appearances.
The Red & Black will take a deeper look into some of the plays that shaped the 2017-18 Georgia football season by discussing one play on each week during the summer. These plays were impactful in the moment, but their importance can be seen in its entirety now that the season has long be…
This Week's Circulars
- 'I hate this county. I prayed to God that he would curse it': Footage shows DUI arrest of congressional candidate (with VIDEO)
- Chatsworth police chief defends use of Taser on 87-year-old woman (with VIDEO)
- Haig Mill park nearing completion; officials looking at Sept. 8 opening
- Teen charged by sheriff's office with aggravated child molestation
- Man charged with aggravated child molestation
- Citizens of the Week: David Rayborn and Brandon J. Townsend
- Area Arrests for Aug. 12
- Congressional candidate sentenced to six months in jail for DUI (with VIDEO)
- Congressional candidate sentenced to jail time for DUI
- Area Arrests for Aug. 11