Murray County at Armuchee
For athletes who transfer into a new school, it can be difficult to assimilate right away. Throw on top of that starting at quarterback for the first time and it can make for ups and downs.
Jay Poag is in year three as the head football coach at Christian Heritage School. After being forced to play a multitude of underclassmen over the past two seasons, Poag sees several reasons why this year could be the breakout year the Lions have been looking for since its last winning seas…
CHATSWORTH — Making a major impact as a freshman is tough for most high school football players. But North Murray running back D'Ante Tidwell broke in 2017 for the Mountaineers as a freshman, rushing for 746 yards on 96 carries with 12 touchdowns. He provided a change of pace for a North Mur…
CHATSWORTH — After two successful seasons in which the North Murray High School football team has reached numerous milestone achievements, third-year coach Preston Poag is imploring his team to not get complacent. The first postseason appearance and victory were worth of recognition, but he …
VARNELL — There are times in life when it isn’t the person who yells the loudest who ends up being the most influential. Actions matter, and how an individual carries themselves daily can often speak louder than any words they could muster.
COHUTTA — As I settle into the comfortable chair here on the front porch of my palatial estate in the suburbs of Cohutta, I think back and contemplate how it seems like it was only yesterday when the high school football season ended.
CHATSWORTH — The Murray County High School girls softball team was able to keep it close with Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe through six innings, but a seven-run seventh inning blew the game wide open and LFO won convincingly 14-2 Monday night.
• Dalton 13, South Cobb 0: The Lady Catamounts bounced back from the extra-inning defeat on Thursday night to win the first game of Saturday's doubleheader convincingly in four innings on the road in Austell. Dalton scored four runs in each of the first two innings and added on five more in …
• North Murray 21, Shaw 0: North Murray scored 21 runs in the bottom of the first inning and the game was called after three, as the Lady Mountaineers won the first game of two Friday night at the Callaway High School Tournament in LaGrange. With the win, North Murray moved to 3-0 on the season.
• North Murray 4, Adairsville 0: McKinley Fields' two-run home run followed by Alivia Rymer's RBI double put North Murray ahead 3-0 in the first inning and Talli Burgess was dominant for the second game in a row as Murray County moved to 2-0 (2-0, Region 6-3A) on the season. Playing in a lig…
• North Murray 2, Calhoun 0: North Murray High School started the season off on a high note defeating defending state champion Calhoun 2-0 at home on Tuesday evening. Junior pitcher Talli Burgess recorded the win pitching seven innings of three-hit ball while striking out eight.
In both teams' season-opening game, it was visiting Coahulla Creek High School that came away with a convincing 11-1 victory in five innings against Southeast Whitfield on Monday night.
Georgia offensive coordinator Jim Chaney walked into the press conference room at Butts-Mehre Heritage Hall for his annual meeting with the media with his usual charisma and wit.
The Georgia football team held an open practice at Fan Day for its second practice of the season at Sanford Stadium on Saturday. Here are some observations made by The Red & Black.
Georgia's football facility upgrade has not peaked, but another milestone development is enjoying brand-spanking-new status as the Bulldogs are on a move-to-the-head-of-the-class mission to complement elevated recruiting successes which should bode well for the Red and Black's future.
The Westside High School Rams have had a pretty successful summer touring the region at various 7-on-7 tournaments.
The two teams facing off in the championship game of the 2018 Southeastern 7-on-7 Championships were from South Carolina and Kentucky, respectively.
Entering Friday's opening day of the 2018 Southeastern 7-on-7 Championship, there were several teams who had been pegged as potential frontrunners to take home the trophy at the end of the two-day competition.
When the Westside High School Rams out of Anderson, South Carolina, took the field for their final of five games during the first day of action at the Southeastern 7-on-7 Championship, they already had their pool championship locked up.
The Whitfield Healthcare Foundation will host its ninth annual Swing for Wellness tennis tournament Aug. 10-11 at Lakeshore Park. For the second year in a row, the tournament also will include pickleball, considered by some to be the world's fastest growing sport.
The city of Dalton welcomes back the Softball Players Association (SPA) today for the Men's 55+ World Championships. The tournament will be held at Heritage Point Park.
The Rickards High School Raiders traditionally look to travel the region, seeking out top competition and top tournaments to test their players and expose them to football outside of their home area around Tallahassee, Florida.
For the third year in a row, coach Mike Engler is bringing his Ryle High School Raiders from Union, Kentucky, to Dalton for the Southeastern 7-on-7 Championship which starts Friday at Dalton High School and Lakeshore Park.
After a breakout season for the Atlanta Falcons in 2016 during which he led the NFL in sacks, a combination of injuries and personnel changes forced Vic Beasley into an outside linebacker position last year.
The last time the Westside High School Rams made the trip from Anderson, South Carolina to Dalton for the Southeastern 7-on-7 Championship in 2016, they left town with the gold trophy.
For coach Caleb Bagley and his Coahulla Creek Colts, there won't be anything out of the ordinary going on during next week's Southeastern 7-on-7 Championship, no special packages designed just for the event that begins Friday at Dalton High School and Lakeshore Park.
In Preston Poag's first two years coaching the North Murray High School football team, he's guided the Mountaineers to historic heights, their first ever state playoff appearances.
The Murray County High School football program is going through a bit of a transition as it enters the new season.
The Southeast Whitfield High School Raiders had one of their best seasons in recent memory in 2017 with a 7-3 record, eventually losing out on a state playoff spot in a mini-game tiebreaker.
Over the past few years Christian Heritage School has gone through growing pains on the field that came with playing a youthful line.
This Week's Circulars
- 'I hate this county. I prayed to God that he would curse it': Footage shows DUI arrest of congressional candidate (with VIDEO)
- Chatsworth police chief defends use of Taser on 87-year-old woman (with VIDEO)
- Haig Mill park nearing completion; officials looking at Sept. 8 opening
- Man charged with aggravated child molestation
- Teen charged by sheriff's office with aggravated child molestation
- Citizens of the Week: David Rayborn and Brandon J. Townsend
- Area Arrests for Aug. 12
- Congressional candidate sentenced to six months in jail for DUI (with VIDEO)
- Congressional candidate sentenced to jail time for DUI
- Area Arrests for Aug. 10