New faces: Introducing Georgia football's 2018 freshman class

Tony Walsh/The Red & Black

University of Georgia quarterback Justin Fields throws a ball during an open practice for Fan Day at Sanford Stadium in Athens on Saturday.

All rankings are accredited to 247Sports

Georgia football signed the No.1 class for 2018 and many of those players either made their way to campus as an early enrollee in January, or this summer for offseason workouts.

Quarterback Justin Fields, offensive lineman Cade Mays and running back Zamir White headline a group of players that have enrolled and participated in spring practices. Other early enrollees include linebacker Brenton Cox, offensive lineman Warren Ericson, offensive lineman Trey Hill, receiver Kearis Jackson, defensive back Divaad Wilson and defensive tackle Devonte Wyatt.

Fields finds himself in a similar position to Jake Fromm’s in 2017. Head coach Kirby Smart has said that he has no intentions to redshirt the freshman, so Fields will need to be ready to enter the game at a moment’s notice. He is practicing currently as the No. 2 quarterback.

White will complement a Bulldog backfield that lost Nick Chubb and Sony Michel. The incoming running back tore an ACL on Nov. 17, 2017, but is fully cleared for 2018, according to Smart. White is wearing a knee brace during fall camp, but doesn’t appear to be limited when running the ball.

Mays joins an offensive line rotation that lost Isaiah Wynn after the 2017 season. The Knoxville, Tennessee, native chose Georgia over Tennessee, and will compete at right tackle to help protect Fromm as the sophomore quarterback tries to improve in his second year.

Since these early enrollees have already spent a semester at school though, here is a look at some of the guys who couldn’t make it until the summer time, and could possibly play a role in 2018.

Adam Anderson, outside linebacker

Anderson, a former five-star outside linebacker, is from Rome and attended Rome High School. While Rome head coach John Reid primarily used Anderson at defensive end, he noted that Anderson is capable of playing both. In Georgia’s defensive scheme, he is practicing with the outside linebackers.

Tommy Bush, wide receiver

Bush is a former four-star wide receiver from Schertz, Texas, and at 6-foot-5, Bush provides length at a position that lost former Georgia and current Chicago Bears receiver Javon Wims.

Jake Camarda, punter

Camarda is a former three-star punter from Norcross who hopes to earn playing time in replacement of Cameron Nizialek. He will compete with current redshirt sophomore punter Marshall Long, who is recovering from a knee surgery he had during spring practice.

Tyson Campbell, cornerback

Campbell is a former five-star defensive back from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and attended American Heritage School, the same high school as former Georgia and Michel, a current New England Patriots running back.

Campbell hasn’t spent much time yet with the Georgia program, but his teammates are already taking notice of his work ethic and ability.

“He’s a very hungry guy, real speedy guy too,” Georgia junior defensive back J.R. Reed said of Campbell. “(The freshmen) know they can play with some spots open, they just have to learn the defense.”

Owen Condon, offensive lineman

Condon is a former three-star offensive lineman from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. He attended Bishop McGuinness Catholic High School and joins a group of several highly-touted offensive line recruits among Georgia's freshman.

James Cook, running back

Cook, a former four-star all-purpose back from Miami, is the younger brother of current Minnesota Vikings running back Dalvin Cook. The younger Cook joins a group of running backs that feature sophomore D’Andre Swift, junior Elijah Holyfield and White.

Jordan Davis, defensive tackle

Davis is a former three-star defensive tackle from Charlotte, North Carolina, who brings added depth to a unit that lost Trenton Thompson from last season.

John Fitzpatrick, tight end

Fitzpatrick is another four-star tight end along with Ford. He is from Atlanta and attended the Marist School. He is almost identical in size to Ford at 6-foot-6, 230 pounds.

Luke Ford, tight end

Ford is a former four-star tight end from Carterville, Illinois, and joins a loaded tight end group with junior Isaac Nauta and junior Charlie Woerner. Ford is a big body tight end at 6-foot-6, 238 pounds.

Azeez Ojulari, defensive end

Ojulari is a former four-star defensive end from Marietta. He tore his ACL during his senior year at Marietta High School. Smart said that Ojulari is cleared for everything but contact. He is playing outside linebacker in fall camp.

Otis Reese, safety

Reese is a former four-star outside linebacker from Leesburg, and attended Lee County High School. He flipped his commitment from Michigan to join the Georgia program. Smart and defensive coordinator Mel Tucker said that Reese will compete at safety due to his athletic ability and speed.

Jamaree Salyer, offensive guard

Georgia returns four of five offensive lineman with game experience in 2017, but Salyer is a former five-star from Atlanta that attended Pace Academy, the same school current sophomore offensive tackle Andrew Thomas went to.

Chris Smith, cornerback

Smith is a former four-star cornerback from Atlanta, and attended Hapeville Charter School. He joins Campbell and Wilson as three freshmen who hope to contribute to a Georgia secondary that lost three seniors last season.

Channing Tindall, linebacker

Tindall is a former-four star linebacker from Columbia, South Carolina, and he attended Spring Valley High School. Tindall primarily plays inside linebacker, making his arrival at Georgia big due to the loss of former Bulldog and current Chicago Bears linebacker Roquan Smith.

Quay Walker, linebacker

Walker is a former four-star outside linebacker from Crisp County. He is remembered for his commitment video, where he put on a Tennessee hat and took it off only to reveal that he was all wearing Georgia clothes, signaling his commitment to Georgia.

But Walker is a talented player at his position, providing depth to a position that includes players like senior D’Andre Walker.

Printed with permission from The Red & Black independent student media organization, based in Athens, Georgia. For more UGA sports news, visit www.redandblack.com/sports.

React to this story:

0
0
0
0
0