The University of Alabama awarded some 5,716 degrees during its spring commencement May 3-5. Area recipients include:
• Kristen Burgess Asbell of Chatsworth, master of arts
• Katherine Elaine Johnson of Dalton, master of social work
• Charles Thomas Martin of Dalton, bachelor of science
• Ana Elena Mendez of Dalton, master of social work
• Vanessa Suarez of Dalton, bachelor of arts in communication and information sciences
• Erin Elizabeth Toland of Dalton, bachelor of arts in communication and information sciences
A total of 11,406 students enrolled during the 2019 spring term at The University of Alabama were named to the Dean's List with an academic record of 3.5 or above or the President's List with an academic record of 4.0. Area students include:
• Charles Martin of Dalton, President's List
• Talmadge Martin of Dalton, Dean's List
• Erin Toland of Dalton, Dean's List
Dalton resident Kevin O'Boyle earned a spot on the University of Dayton's spring 2019 Dean's List, which honors undergraduate students achieving a minimum 3.5 GPA for the semester.
Faith Harris of Dalton earned the distinction of Faculty Honors for spring 2019 at the Georgia Institute of Technology. This designation is awarded to undergraduate students who have a 4.0 academic average for the semester.
The following area students earned the distinction of Dean's List at the Georgia Institute of Technology for Spring 2019. This designation is awarded to undergraduate students who have a 3.0 or higher academic average for the semester.
• Kenneth Barnett of Dalton
• Justin Deal of Dalton
• Nicholas Farris of Dalton
• Jacob Ferguson of Dalton
• Kameron Hawkins of Dalton
• Andrew Johnston of Dalton
• Rachel Raisin of Dalton
• Laura Shaheen of Dalton
Mercer University recently announced the President's List and Dean's List for the spring 2019 semester. University officials said inclusion on these lists requires students to meet rigorous grade-point-average standards specific to the college or school within the university. On the President's List is Katelyn Crumbley of Dalton, a junior in the College of Liberal Arts. On the Dean's List is Richard Gress of Rocky Face, a senior in the School of Music.
Park University held its May 2019 Kansas City Area Commencement ceremony on May 11 at the Community of Christ Auditorium in Independence, Missouri. The university had 617 students eligible to participate in the ceremony -- 239 students received a master's degree and/or a graduate certificate, and 378 students received a bachelor's degree, associate degree and/or undergraduate certificate. Lacey D. Barrett, of Chatsworth, was among the graduates, earning a master of business administration.