Local DAR chapter recognizes Good Citizens

Contributed photo

Pictured, from left, are the local high school students selected as Good Citizens: Emily Allen, Southeast Whitfield; Erin Blankenship, North Murray; Austin Hernandez, Coahulla Creek; Nancy Lopez, Murray High; Hannah Miller, Dalton High; Genna Oshier, Northwest Whitfield; and Rebekah Weyman, Christian Heritage.

The Robert Loughridge Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution recently recognized area high school Good Citizens. A school's DAR Good Citizen must exhibit the qualities of dependability, service, leadership and patriotism.

Hannah Miller of Dalton High School was selected to advance to region competition. Good Citizens from other area high schools include Emily Allen, Southeast Whitfield; Erin Blankenship, North Murray; Austin Hernandez, Coahulla Creek; Nancy Lopez, Murray High; Genna Oshier, Northwest Whitfield; and Rebekah Weyman, Christian Heritage.

Miller is the daughter of Rodney and Hannah Miller. She is the squadron cadet commander of the Civil Air Patrol, is an AP scholar and ranked summa cum laude on the 2019 National Latin Exam.

Allen is the daughter of Brian and Amy Allen. She is senior class president, DECA president and attended the Governor's Honors Program in dance.

Blankenship, the daughter of Donnie and Kay Blankenship, is president of the student council. She plays softball and, upon graduation, will continue on the team at Cleveland State Community College.

Hernandez, the son of Lorenzo and Brenda Hernandez, has been a four-year starter on the Coahulla Creek football team. He is a 2020 Georgia Certificate of Merit recipient and volunteers with Miracle Field, sharing his love of sports with disabled students and adults.

Lopez is the daughter of Carlos and Paula Lopez. She is captain of the varsity soccer team, secretary of the student council and volunteers in community outreach programs.

Oshier is the daughter of Annette LaFuze and Michael Oshier. She received the Outstanding Character Award at the University of North Georgia Summer Honors program, is an AP Scholar with Distinction and volunteers at the animal shelter.

Weyman, the daughter of Julius and Jennifer Weyman, plays varsity soccer. She founded her school newspaper, has served as yearbook editor and tutors elementary students.

React to this story:

0
0
0
0
0

Recommended for you