Libraries are all about lifelong learning, improving knowledge, skills and competences related to personal, civic, social and/or employment endeavors. At the Dalton-Whitfield County Public Library we offer many different types of classes, from fun 3-D printing classes to computer basics classes, to genealogy classes, to the more advanced Excel classes. We offer these to help you learn new skills for work, life and fun. To me, living is learning and if you aren't learning you aren't living!
"The capacity to learn is a gift; the ability to learn is a skill; the willingness to learn is a choice." -- Brian Herbert
I love this quote by Herbert. He is the son of science fiction author Frank Herbert and an author himself.
The quote did not come from any nonfiction literature on the importance of learning; it came from a science fiction book called "House Harkonnen." The fact that it came from a book of fiction does not lessen the importance of the words.
Learning is a choice. Many of you may be familiar with the best-selling novel turned into a movie "Wonder," by R.J. Palacio. One of the inspirational quotes from that book is "choose kind." I wholeheartedly agree; You should always choose kind. But I also challenge you to do this, "choose learn." Choose to learn. Check out some books online or at the library and learn something new. Come by the library and participate in some of our fun learning-based activities like DIY@the Library or attend a class and learn something knew that can help you at home or at work.
Here is a look at some of our upcoming classes. They are offered at different times and days for your convenience.
• Budgeting 101: Learn how to manage your income to budget for expenses, save for emergencies, eliminate debt and plan for retirement. The class is presented by FirstBank. Class materials are available in both English and Spanish, and the class presenter will be bilingual.
Tuesday from 5:30 to 7 p.m.
Thursday from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
• LinkedIn: Basics: Learn about the main professional networking site, LinkedIn.
Oct. 2 from 5:30 to 7 p.m.
Oct. 3 from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
• LinkedIn: Getting Started: Learn how to create your LinkedIn profile, add contacts and more.
Oct. 8 from 5:30 to 7 p.m.
Oct. 10 from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
• LinkedIn: Tips & Tricks: Learn how to use LinkedIn to enhance your online presence.
Oct. 15 from 5:30 to 7 p.m.
Oct. 17 from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
• Financial Wellness 101: Learn how to manage your income to budget for expenses, save for emergencies, eliminate debt and plan for retirement. The class is presented by the Georgia United Credit Union.
Oct. 22 from 5:30 to 7 p.m.
Oct. 24 from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Remember, "choose learn!"
Brandy Wyatt is the administrator of the Dalton-Whitfield County Public Library.