An 11-year-old girl who accused Lonnie Inman of molesting her when she was 4 said she kept silent for six years out of fear that he would kill her.

But Mike McCarthy, Inman’s attorney, said in his closing argument Thursday in Whitfield County Superior Court that there is no medical or physical evidence the child had been abused, and the allegations were from “a long, long time ago.”

Prosecutor Steve Spencer countered McCarthy’s claim of no medical evidence, saying that “at least 90 percent of the time, there is no physical evidence” in child molestation cases.

Inman, of Whitfield County, is accused of molesting two girls more than seven years ago. He is charged with three counts of aggravated child molestation, three counts of child molestation and one count of aggravated sexual battery.

Jurors on Thursday watched videos of the two girls from August 2004 in which they claimed that Inman had molested them and threatened them.

One of the girls said Inman put her face in her own vomit.

After deliberating for more than five hours, jury members went home Thursday night without a verdict. They will resume deliberations this morning at 9 in the courthouse annex. Judge Cindy Morris is presiding over the trial.

McCarthy noted in his closing argument that his client had no criminal history.

And while Inman’s appearance may be scary, McCarthy said, “That doesn’t make him guilty.”

Inman’s body is covered with warts.

Spencer called Inman a “sexual predator” in his closing argument, saying Inman took advantage of an opportunity to satisfy his “lustful desire for those children” while babysitting them.

Spencer said Inman’s own statements to police indicated his guilt.

“He said, ‘I need help to stop doing the things to kids that I used to do,’” Spencer told the jury. “So, I’m going to ask you to help him. I’m going to ask you to help these children.”

React to this story:

0
0
0
0
0

Recommended for you