Martin Luther King Jr. Day isn't officially observed until Monday, but our community is getting a jump start on honoring his legacy.
Events for Dalton's Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration 2020 kick off Saturday at noon and continue through Monday evening. The events are diverse, from a 3-point basketball shooting competition to the annual wreath laying at the monument honoring King, a Baptist minister who in the 1950s and 1960s became a driving force in the civil rights movement.
All events are at the Mack Gaston Community Center, 218 N. Fredrick St., unless otherwise noted.
• Noon: 3-point shootout and free throw competition.
• 2 p.m.: Dunk contest for people 5 feet, 10 inches and shorter.
• 6 p.m.: Annual Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration Banquet featuring speaker Michael E. Kelley II, president of the local NAACP.
• 4 p.m.: Ecumenical service at Shiloh Baptist Church (2014 MLK Jr. Blvd.) with speaker Pastor David Richards III of New Hope A.M.E. Church in Buckhead.
• 9 a.m.: Annual wreath laying at the MLK monument at the corner of the intersection of MLK Jr. Boulevard and East Walnut Avenue with speaker Pat Gross.
• 10 a.m.: Annual prayer breakfast with speaker Dr. Jeffeory E. White.
• 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.: MLK Health Fair in the community center lobby sponsored by the Northwest Georgia Healthcare Partnership.
• 5 p.m.: MLK Talent Show.
The community is invited to all events.
We encourage everyone to help honor the legacy of King, who was assassinated on April 4, 1968, in Memphis, Tennessee.