RINGGOLD — Northwest Whitfield spoiled Ringgold’s homecoming Saturday with a 24-7 Region 7-4A victory at Don Patterson Field, but Bruins coach Mike Falleur was furious.

“In the first half we stunk,” Falleur screamed at his players after the game. “We came out flat and not ready to play. We didn’t have any intensity and I let it go. I promise you I won’t do that again.”

A couple of minutes later, Falleur said, “A win’s a win and we won’t ever turn it down. But we had the ball on this end of the field four or five times in the first half and got 10 points. Our kids had the energy level of a snail.”

The Bruins turned the ball over on downs twice in the first half at Ringgold’s 20 and 36. On their opening drive of the third quarter, Wes Gibson fumbled going into the end zone and Ringgold’s Ronnie Worley recovered it for a touchback.

The game was played a day after it was originally scheduled. Ringgold announced the postponement on Thursday due to expected inclement weather on Friday.

“Saturday’s different,” Falleur said. “I knew when we came over here we would be flat, and that’s not taking anything from Ringgold.”

In the first half, Northwest (7-1, 4-1) piled up 193 yards but managed only 10 points — Blake Gash’s 80-yard touchdown run and Hector Holguin’s 23-yard field goal.

Gash bolted right up the middle and outran Tigers defender Jonathan Gregory to the end zone.

“We should have done a lot better in the first half,” said Gash, who finished with 105 yards on nine carries. “I think we stepped it up a little better in the second half.”

Gash had 98 yards rushing at halftime, thanks to his long run.

However, on Ringgold’s first play from scrimmage after Gash’s touchdown, sophomore quarterback Zach Fairchild connected with Garrett Crawford on an 88-yard touchdown to bring the Tigers level with the Bruins at 7.

But that was all the damage Ringgold (2-6, 1-4) could do to the Bruins’ defense, which held the Tigers to just 50 yards of total offense after halftime.

Fairchild passed for 159 yards and the touchdown, but was intercepted four times, twice by Romeo Williams, who also had a deflection. Spencer Bragg got an interception and Dean Haynes returned one 75 yards for an apparent touchdown, but one of Northwest’s staggering 11 penalties (for 112 yards) nullified the score.

Northwest’s Dakota Beavers recovered a Ringgold fumble at the Tigers’ 11, setting up Holguin’s second-quarter field goal.

The Bruins blew the game open with two fourth-quarter touchdowns on 1-yard runs by Gibson and Dustin Barbee.

Gibson capped a 64-yard drive that started in the third quarter, scoring with 10:53 left in the game.

After a Ringgold punt, the Bruins drove 53 yards in seven plays as Barbee hit paydirt with 6:51 remaining.

“We were a little shaky in the first half,” said Bruins quarterback Drew Carter, who threw for 109 yards on 10-of-15 passing. “We had a lot of mistakes. But in the second half we looked more like the team we’ve been all season.”

Carter and reserve Seth Vineyard distributed their passes to nine different receivers. Gash and Xavier Wofford each had two receptions, one more than any other single Bruin.

React to this story:


Trending Video

Recommended for you