Georgia announced a home-and-home football series with Oklahoma in 2023 and 2031 on Monday.

The Bulldogs will play in Norman, Oklahoma, on Sept. 9, 2023, before hosting the Sooners in Athens on Sept. 13, 2031.

The SEC and Big 12 powerhouses met for the first and only time on Jan. 1, 2018, at the College Football Semifinals at the Rose Bowl game in Pasadena, California, where Georgia escaped with a 54-48 double-overtime victory to advance to the 2018 College Football Playoff National Championship.

“We look forward to building on what was a great matchup in the Rose Bowl,” head coach Kirby Smart said. “Oklahoma and Georgia are two of the biggest name brands in college football and these will be great games in Norman and Athens.”

Georgia has already planned five home-and-home series with four other Power 5 non-conference opponents. Two are scheduled with Clemson in 2029, 2030, 2032 and 2033, while one series is planned with Texas (2028 and 2029), UCLA (2025 and 2026) and Florida State (2027 and 2028).

“It will be a great intersectional game that I’m sure will excite the fan bases of both institutions,” athletics director Greg McGarity said. “In addition, playing the Sooners certainly adds to our continuing efforts at scheduling quality opponents outside the SEC.”

Printed with permission from The Red & Black independent student media organization, based in Athens, Georgia. For more UGA sports news, visit www.redandblack.com/sports.

React to this story:

0
0
0
0
0